Thursday, October 1, 2009

Looking for answers...


It's been nearly a year....

In fact, next Thursday, Oct. 8, will mark the one year anniversary of obvious physical signs that supported what already knew... That my daughter Ella was sick... and that I did not why or from what....

How ironic is it that on the day I was taking a second formal step in figuring out how I can give Ella a brother or sister, the dreaded news came.... The news I'd been longing for, formally for a year minus a week although I questioned it from the day she was born... and which in the last few days I had secretely wished would never comes as a formal diagnostic...

Today, hours after meeting with the counsellor that would "clear" me to become a mom again, I got the news... Ella had a disease... And that disease now has a name... A disease which I may have passed on to her... A disease which, clearer than ever now, would take her life... Ella was missing a very crucial gene and there is no way we could have ever predicted it... or even saved her...

One doctor called it... And yet it was not thought of as being a the real cause for her illess... And then a pathologist called it, and still it was not thought of as being THE diagnostic... I guess science does not lie as today, both a doctor and a pathologist were in my thoughts and in my heart as I heard the news....

Ella, my sweet, vivacious, bright as button and so happy and charismatic litte girl did not stand a chance... And now, I am faced with a whole lot more questions than I started my day with...

Did I pass this genetic disorder to her... Can it happen again.... Could the stress and discontent that was surrounding me during pregnancy and what should have been the best days of my life contribute to Ella's illness? Could a diagnostic last November have rendered a better quality of life for my angel for those few precious months she had with us? Was there TRULY nothing we could do to save her?

As I ponder on all of those questions tonight, I am in disbelief... Disbelief that such a perfect little girl, with a smile that lit the sky and eyes that saw right through your soul, could be striken with such a radical illness that it silently kills her from the inside out...

Ella, I know was here for a reason. She has taught me so many lessons - some I never wished to learn and did not have a choice to learn; and some that were repeated to me for years on end and I still did not get them until now...

And as I strive to honour Ella and do right by her, I am left wondering what the future holds and if I am right in thinking from the moment I realized something was off with my baby girl, that I did this do her, completely oblivious and unaware of it.... or if this was a fluke of nature that brought me my little angel to teach me a lesson and make everyone's lives around more meaningful because she was part of it...

I doubt I'll find out about most of those answers in this lifetime, and in the meantime I will hang on to the thought that my beautiful angel Ella will send me the next best thing to her resurecting: a beautiful and healthy rainbow baby....

ELLA
Everyone Loves Little Angels

No comments:

Post a Comment