Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ella's First Crush


I originally wrote this text a couple of weeks ago to add in to the series of moments in Ella's life I docu- mented for BCCH Supercommunity ELLA - Everyone Loves Littles Angels. It should have been added yesterday, in place of Ella's First Halloween which I should have written today. Oh well, can't dictate a mother's heart and where the inspiration comes from right? Oh, and I've made slight additions to it too :)

So here it is.


It was October 30, 2008 and Ella had just been re-admitted to BCCH for the second time the day before. By this time, we knew Ella's condition was serious enough that she required oxygen therapy. We were on 3M, in quiet a corner room. And on that day, as I rocked my daughter, we met nurse Ryan.


Ryan was our third male nurse. Chris had been our ongoing nurse extraordinaire when Ella was born at BC Women's. And then on Ella's first hospital stay, we were fortunate to be cared for by Mark on 3R. But as we started this stay at BCCH, I noticed something in my baby girl's eyes when Ryan entered the room.... It was as though Ella had a glimmer in her eyes :)


It did not take long for both Ella's dad and I to understand that the glimmer was actually Ella's way of telling us she had a crush on Ryan. She would become so focused on him as he cared for her, and would be so playful, even more so than with other nurses. And she would just have that happy look every time he was around. We were blessed to have Ryan look after us (I say us because I was staying with Ella 24 hours/7) and Ryan was of such great help to me throughout this difficult time.

Fast-forward a month and a half and this time, we have been readmitted in to BCCH, and have already been transfered down to the ICU because Ella's state has greatly deteriorated. I am walking back to 3F where Ella had spent two nights to update the staff on Ella's state and I ran into Ryan. Upon hearing of Ella's return, he promised to stop by to see her. And sure enough, at the end of his shift, Ella received her first visitor in the ICU: her nurse Ryan. Although Ella was pretty sedated, I know in my heart she was aware Ryan was there to say hi.


And as we started what would be a very long stay in ICU, I thought my baby girl was so blessed to have a first love, besides Maman and Daddy, that loves her right back!


I am thinking of you today Ryan. And of all the wonderful caregivers that spend their life looking after other people's children in hope of making them better. And though sometimes, they can't do that as much as they'd like because life takes over, you always manage to make it easier on us, parents, and our little ones too.


Thank you - from Ella, from her dad, from me and from every single parent out there who's had a child spend a scary day/night in a hospital! With all my love and gratitude.


ELLA - Everyone Loves Little Angels

No comments:

Post a Comment